Friday, April 08, 2011

I did it!


Well, I did it.

The sew night was scheduled from 6-9, so at about 4 I started getting nervous.
I couldn't decided which project to take with me.
I knew I should take bee blocks to work on, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to concentrate.
 and what if they think my projects are lame?

In the end I took two different projects to work on, both were at the point of needing trimmed down and what-not.
no actual sewing.
I didn't want to take my machine in.

I decided it didn't matter what they thought, I would work on what I wanted to work on.  I wasn't going to try impress anyone, I was going to get out of the house and meet people who quilt in person.

I drove around the block at least twice before I had the courage to park.
Then I waited in the car for a bit.
Finally I gathered up my stuff and walked inside. 

When I got there there were only two quilters there.
I'm horrible with names, but I recognised one of the ladies from the quilt shop.  Jessica, the president, wasn't there yet. 

They were very nice and I sat down and took out my stuff.  I won't say I was relaxed, but I was enjoying the fact that I wasn't at home. 

Eventually 2 other ladies and Jessica showed up. 

I had fun.
I got all my boring marking and trimming done and it wasn't boring.
All of these ladies are completely different, but unlike the random quilters I run into when picking up quilting magazines or at JoAnn's, they were nice.
and welcoming.
and interested in what I was working on.

One of them, Debbie (?) was putting the binding on a beautiful circle quilt.  She insisted that the circles were easy, but I'm not sure I believe her.

I got my charm pack.
 

I think I know what I'm going to do.  I had it all planned and then I started changing my mind.

Here are the rules:
Robert Kaufman Solids Challenge guidelines:
1)A quilt top or quilt using only solid fabrics (the fabrics that you supply do not have to be Kona solids, but do need to be solids, not tone-on-tones or marbled)
2)Must use at least half of the charm pack colors (22 charms)
3)Top must be at least 36"X 36"
4)Tops/quilts ready for the July 13th meeting
 
I have two ideas I think I'd like to try, and I am working on samples of both.
When they're pieced I might ask for help deciding.
 
Would I go again?  yes
 
I wish I could make it to the meeting, but it's at the same time as Miss Mae's ballet class, so maybe I'll be able to make it this summer, when we're not doing ballet.
 
I took a chance and stepped outside my comfort zone.
and it was good.

3 comments:

  1. I have to chuckle at reading about you driving around before you decided to park, sounds just like me. I am glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time.I am excited to see what you make with your charms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that you came... and that you wrote this. You are very brave. It was so nice to meet you in person. I recognized your most recent quilt from your drawing!! I can't wait to see your challenge quilt. Let me know if you are interested in hanging a quilt in the quilt show. I will email you. :)

    ReplyDelete