Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back in the groove

I'm finally feeling like I'm beginning to get caught up with life.   I actually started and completed a project all in the same week.
(can you believe it?)

I made a little quilt for my mother-in-law for Mother's day.  The idea came from the a magazine I picked up - Quilt Almanac 2011.


I was rather disappointed in the magazine.  I was expecting templates and patterns for all the flowers and leaves, but there wasn't any.  The other patterns in the book were okay, but nothing super exciting.  I wouldn't recommend spending $10 on it, it wasn't worth it. 

Anyway, back to my project

vase of love quilty

It was challenging.
I'm not super comfortable with applique, but I think it turned out neat.
Each hand print is one of the grand kids.

vase of love detail (3)

vase of love detail (2)

I practiced my stippling and "organic" outlining.

I'm a bit more comfortable using fusible web.  The web had problems sticking to the back of the hand prints, even when I followed the actual directions on the packaging.

She was thrilled with it, which is what matters most.

I've started packing up my UFOs that I know I won't work on this summer.
I'm trying to be realistic, summer is busy enough and then adding in building and moving...  I'm totally thrilled to be building a house that's almost double the size of our current home.
(and I get my own room, JUST FOR SEWING!!!!!)

I'm also dreading packing and moving.
We've lived here for 9 years.  When we moved in it was just me, the Mr. and a nine month old baby.  We've managed to accumulate 2 more kinds and a lot of stuff in 9 years.

School will be out for the summer in about 6 weeks, and that's when I'll really start packing up everything.  We should be moving at the end of August.

Super exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the moving and everything! Always exciting, but also scary! I also had to pack away some of my quilting projects... I just wasn't working on them, and I know as summer becomes full blown that I won't want to be sitting under a heavy quilt... lol especially since I am pregnant and that just... well isn't desirable lol. I am already hot and it's only like 65 outside. I also love your quilt! What a cute idea! I will have to keep this in mind for my own mother once I have one or two kids... add in my sister's 3 and we have a nice bouquet! :)

    ReplyDelete