Wednesday, June 16, 2010

New Year

Warning! Long rambling post with no pictures!


For me, January hasn't ever felt like the beginning of the year. It feels like the middle. When I was a kid, it was because school ran September thru June. The year began in September and ended in June. July and August were just catch-up months. Now, as an adult, Mr. Chaos and I both work for a performing arts company. A year or "season" typically starts in late August and ends in April or May. Add to that, my kids are also in school, running on the same schedule.

It's June. School's out. Season's done. Time to rest and re-coup. This past year has been one of the most stressful years I have endured as an adult. It was just one thing after another, with no time to digest the previous thing.

I've had to look at all I'm trying to accomplish and accept that I cannot do it all. But what to give up?

Handwork & Crazy Quilting - I have always had a slight hand tremor, and over the last year or so it has gotten to the point where whenever I try to do any kind of hand-work, beading, embroidery, etc, I just get frustrated. I had been doing beautiful silk crazy quilts with hand beaded embroidery. I had collected tons of beautiful beads and fabrics. For the last year they have sat unused. I had to accept that I will not be able to do the kind of hand work I loved. Which has worked out okay, because I discovered quilting, and my tremor doesn't affect my use of the sewing machine.

So I have gifted all my beads to a friend who makes beautiful jewelry. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me, it was.

I still have a gazillion pieces of silks and satins that need new homes.

School - Working from home on an online program isn't working for me. There are too many distractions between the kids and working. I plan to return to finish after Muffin is in school all day.

What does that leave?

Costuming - Looks like my opportunities to continue to build and repair costumes for the Ballet will increase this coming season. Yeah!! Totally excited. I love working with the adults after spending all my time with kids.

Quilting - I started quilting last August and haven't looked back since. I've join virtual quilting bees, and the block lotto. I've learned TONS and made new friends.

Roses - my other passion. I love roses. I will continue to grow and sell my cuttings. I've started a blog just about my Roses.

And the most important - Family - I will be able to devote more time and energy towards the happiness of my children. I'm teaching Miss Mae to sew, and Muffin and The Boy are both "helping" in the garden.

So, here's to a stress free summer, a new year and accepting my limits. Cheers!

3 comments: